Saturday, January 23, 2016

Snow Day

Sometimes God knows when you need some down time... some family time... and He sends you... SNOW. Even to the little old Southern state of Georgia.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

My two littles were thrilled with the small dusting of snow we got on Friday night. First thing Saturday morning they were up and at it to play with the small amount we got. Their smiles and fascination of it took me back to when I was a child and my own fond memories of snow days.


I went outside about long enough to get a few pictures and I headed back inside. I'm not a cold weather kinda girl. When the temps go below 72, I'm bundling up.

Back inside, with my warm coffee, I had to thank God for this day as I knew already it was gonna be a great one. To my standards anyway.

Psalm 143: Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life.


The morning was begging for a big, warm home cooked breakfast and of course, an extended pajama day! I remember as a kid my Dad would fry doughnuts from time-to-time for breakfast and it was always such a cool thing to me as a kid because the process was awesome to watch and the end product was incredible! I have been tossing this adventure around in my mind but have been a little nervous about it because of the entire hot grease thing with active kids around. But today was my day... Doughnuts were going to be concurred!

So, the doughnut making began...

I pulled one of my cookbooks out and referenced a apple-spice doughnut recipe (Thanks Junior League of Atlanta cookbook!). Sounds perfect for a cold winter morning. Started mixing... Wet ingredients and then alternate dry ingredients with milk. Kimmie loved running the mixer (and she loved licking the mixer blade in the end!).


After a good mixing, add the vanilla and applesauce.


Warm the grease. I love my mini cast iron dutch oven pan. It's perfect for this adventure.

Why the grease slowly heats to 350, drink coffee... Slowly... And enjoy the fact that the kids are watching cartoons and hubs is tending to the fire. And you have two seconds to enjoy the morning--by yourself.


Drop the dough in by heaping spoonfuls and let them fry up!


When they are done, let them dry for a moment on a paper towel lined plate. While they are still hot, transfer them to a paper bag with powdered sugar. Shack... vigorously... sorta like you're mad... but you just had your coffee and it's still morning so you are really not ready to be angry.


And pile them on a plate because a small mountain of home cooked doughnuts looks awesome to a four-year old! And then fry up some sausage on the side. I always have deer sausage in the freezer (aka "venison" to proper folks).


Make sure you sneak one for yourself before everyone else runs in demanding one... or two.

After I cleaned the dishes from breakfast, it wasn't long before the littles wanted lunch... and then I started a pot of chili for dinner. I was in the kitchen most the day but it's my happy place so no complaints. It was only after my son got shipped off to Grandma's for a sleep over with his cousin and the other girl cousin joined my daughter here at our house did I have a moment to sit down and reflect. I reflected that it was a good day. Thank you, Lord for I feel rested!

I hope you enjoyed your snow day as much as I did!!

With Love,
Reynie

No comments:

Post a Comment