Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Snackers Need Granola Bars

My kids are the eternal snackers. I’m forever hearing, “Mommy, can I have a snack?” They can live on endless supplies of goldfish, crackers, smoothies, fruit slices… you name it.

As I’ve started exploring healthier food options for my family I’ve turned a lot of focus on the snacks that we consume (because you know whatever they are snacking on, Mommy is, too!). My first goal was to cut out anything processed and that contained artificial colors. This included me taking a hard look at what my go-to snacks are and possible alternative replacements.

One of the snacking options I love because of the portability is the snack bar. They are often times loaded with sugars and other ingredients I can’t pronounce so in an effort to cut the processing out, I’ve opted to make my own. I did a little research and found several viable recipes but went down the path to modifying them to fit my family.

I have to start by saying—THIS HAS A LOT OF BUTTER! I hope on my next run of these I can figure out how to cut the butter amount and up the nutritional value. But it is also full of other wonderful ingredients that my kids love such as nuts, berries, and oats. The honey adds the sweetness. I tossed in a small amount of chocolate chips to keep them interested.

Kimmie jumped right in to help me in the kitchen while whipping these up. Start by mixing the wet ingredients.


One of my new ingredients I’m testing out is a peanut butter-coconut spread. This one might need a little more research but the kids seem to like it. I added in a small amount to give it a little more of a earthy, robust flavor.


Add oats and wheat flour and give it a good mixing. #workout! Lastly, add the assortment of extras your family likes. Press the mixture firmly into a pan and bake.


When it comes out, it will need to cool for about 15 minutes before cutting. I suggest letting it cool completely prior to chowing down. If they are still warm (albeit totally yummy that way) they will crumble. The cooling process allows for them to really “set” into form.


I gave my minis a half a bar each for an after school snack and they both gave them the “yum” smile!


I’m a big believer in homemade—you control the ingredients and less processing! And besides, anything made with love will be received with love!

Suggestions on butter substitutes? I’m all ears in growing this into a healthier version.

With Love,

Reynie


Snack "Granola" Bars

Ingredients
  • 4 cups Oatmeal
  • 1 cup Wheat Flour
  • 1 tsp Baking soda
  • 2 tsp Vanilla
  • 1 cup Butter, softened
  • 1 cup Honey
  • 1 tbsp Peanut-coconut spread
  • 1 tbsp Flax seeds
  • 1/2 cup Almonds
  • 1/4 cup Walnuts
  • 1/2 cup Dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup Chocolate chips
Cooking Directions
  1. Mix wet ingredients until well blended.
  2. Add oats, flour and baking soda; mix well.
  3. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
  4. Spread firmly into 9X13 pan
  5. Bake at 325 for 25 minutes
  6. Cool 15 minutes before cutting. Completely cool before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment