Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Around Here

I love the calm and peace that January seems to bring to my household after the mad-rush of the Christmas season. It's too cold to go outside so my family stays inside, hunkered-down in the house, snuggled-up and relaxing. Ahhh... Makes Momma happy!

Here's what we've been up to during this down time.

Around My Garden: After the "blizzard" of last weekend, we had some warmer temperatures this week that got me excited about the thoughts of spring. Spring=Garden! So why not start planning for my spring garden?

During the winter months I have been engrossed in conditioning my garden soil. My make-shift composite pile is looking good! I went out to the garden to turn the soil and found all these happy earth worms! Yeah for my soil. Read here why these fellas are great soil conditioners. 


Every year I try to add one new veggie to my garden that I have not grown before. This year it will be purple potatoes. I started these guys from purple potatoes that had started to seed in my pantry. They grew very fashionably in their red Solo cups on my kitchen window sill. Once they got some size to them, I transplanted them to these larger pots. They'll stay inside for a bit longer before moving outside. 


Around the house: We have a wood burning stove in our house and absolutely love it during the winter months! It supplies great heat and sets a warm and inviting tone around our house. Come, sit by the fire with me.


Around Pinterest: Spending some much time in your house gives you amply opportunity to asses what needs to be changed. And this winter, I've been doing that. One sore point for me is the area in my kitchen that is designated for my kids space. They have a table with little people chairs, cabinets for their toys, and baskets for craft supplies. I feel like it is in continual chaos. I'm committed to making it more functional! I've been pinning some great ideas on how to set up a space as a homework/craft/eating spot. Multifunctional! Check out my board to see what the people of Pinterest have come up with for me! 

Around the porch: And last but not least... Our cat, Mittens (aka "Country Cat" affectionately called by my son) has been doing a lot of huntin' lately. He loves us and brings us nice "gifts" all the time. 


Be prepared... this could be graphic... It's a half a squirrel. Yep. A gift from the cat left on my front door mat that I almost stepped on. Nothing says, "I love you!" like a half dead squirrel. #woodlandcreaturealert


Nothing too exciting--but then again, that's the luxury of the winter months! Stay warm, friends!

With Love,

Reynie

No comments:

Post a Comment