Monday, February 22, 2016

Weekend Review

This past weekend was a typical weekend around our house. The highlight was taking the kids to their cousin's birthday party at the bowling center. Have you ever been cosmic bowling? The kids loved it, but I've decided I'm too old and too blind for that stuff. I've got to have lights to see where the ball is going! I can already predict I'll be grumpy when I'm old(er). Regardless, it was a big hit for my young bowlers even if I couldn't see in front of me! And happy birthday cousin, Addy!


Saturday morning, pre-birthday party, we started the day off with a big breakfast. I have fond memories of my Daddy always making these big breakfasts! Makes sense that the man now owns a Huddle House restaurant that serves breakfast 24 X 7. So I guess I came with the big-breakfast gene naturally. This week it was a fixin' of bacon, homemade biscuits, and eggs. We also had a few blueberries--my son's favorite!


After the birthday party extravaganza we stopped at Tractor Supply Co to purchase some items we will need for our new baby chicks (that's another post!). While shopping on chicken supplies my children feel in love with this plush, red barn chicken coop. After explaining that we were not taking the chicken coop home, they settled for the consolation purchase of a new kid-sized rack and shovel. Off to the garden we went to try them out.


This was the end product of our Tractor Supply Co shopping trip... My baby chickens will arrive soon! This Momma bird is prepared! (i think).


While the kids were occupied with digging in the garden, I planted my new raspberry bushes. I think once they get a little size on them, I will transplant them to my "orchard" (my husband laughs when I say "orchard" as all it consists of right now is three blueberry bushes, a half-to-almost-dead grape vine, and a fig tree... but soon enough it will be a big, bountiful collection of fruit trees and bushes that the Garden-of-Eden would be envious of!!). 


And this guy... still making such crisp, green collard leaves! Yep, we ate some of that for dinner on Sunday!


After some hard garden and yard work one deserves some homemade pizza and beer. Well, beer for me and milk for them. You can't tell in the picture below but that pizza had about four different combinations to it. The one thing about making pizza from scratch is that you can jazz it up anyway you want to and hopefully please everyone!


Sunday was a little lazy. It started out raining so we skipped church. I had the ongoing earache issues that I seem to be suffering with this season so I needed some down time and an extra cup of Joe. (note to self: look into the essential oils to try to find something to help my stupid earaches.)
 
After a few cups of coffee I went to work in the kitchen. A few weeks back I had tried to make a batch of rolls for dinner and they failed to rise properly. I ended up using the dough for pretzels which turned out okay knowing what I started with. I had to redeem myself (and my confidence) so I went at it again. This time I opted for bread loaves vs dinner rolls. And it turned out beautiful! Ahhh, the smell of fresh baked bread on a Sunday is so comforting. Good stuff, kids!

 

Sunday afternoon Kimmie and I started work on the kids homework area. I shared how I have a Pinterest board for all my ideas to make this area more efficient. I finally put some of those ideas to work. We made a good run at organizing the craft supplies (and Lord knows there is a magnitude of craft supplies!) but we have many more details to complete. I'll post a after picture once it all comes together.

I'll say though that I love this sort of time with my daughter. It is so rewarding getting to spend time with her working on some sort of project and watching her work through the ideas in her head. I know the time will come too quickly where she doesn't want to spend her Sunday afternoon doing projects with Momma so I try to soak up the goodness while I can!


And this guy kept a watchful eye on me all weekend! My cat loves his kitty window seat so he can observe all things going on in the kitchen. He's a curious fella but at times I feel like he is sitting there thinking, "she ain't doing that right!" Look at his face... You know how cats are... judgmental little beast.


The weekend overall was a nice one and now back to the grind! Blessed to have a grind to go back to though!

Here's wishing you had a nice weekend and great week ahead!

With love,

Reynie

No comments:

Post a Comment