Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Lent: I give up!

Today is Ash Wednesday--the first day of Lent. I was raised a Methodist and I grew up attending a Wednesday night service on Ash Wednesday where ashes were placed on our foreheads. I had always heard the preacher talk about "lent," but I never really knew how that all came together. It seemed like religious talk to me and lots of rituals that were a little foreign.

When I got to college I had a Catholic friend who was always trying to "give something up for Lent." But again, it just never clicked for me.

In my twenties is when I started to discover what religion meant to me but what I ended up finding was a relationship with God--in three distinct ways: a loving father, a son of flesh, and the guiding holy spirit. Once I figured out how God in three forms related to my life only then could I be open to a relationship.

Our relationship formed and has grown stronger over the years. I lean on our bond daily and I find that I want to know more of God all the time. As a side effect of my need for knowledge, I've done a lot of research and education on religion and how God as we know Him came to be today. It's interesting stuff!

Through this, I have settled comfortably in my Methodist doctrine and feel it matches my thoughts and relationship the best--not always but mostly. Yet there are still practices from other religions that I observe and borrow as I find they add to my relationship, worship, and understanding of God. One of those practices is Lent.

Now, some Methodist would say that "giving up" for Lent is absolutely positively part of our doctrine but I've found that in visiting multiple Methodist churches over the years that most of the churches in the south don't necessarily "wide-spread" observe it the same as our Catholic friends (note that I'm not a certified clergy but just someone speaking on their own observations). So, nonetheless, I borrow this custom of "giving something up" and add it to my lent period.

The giving up started with wine one year... that didn't last long. Then one year it was cursing (Lord, help me as I know I have the mouth of a sailor!) and it only took the first rush-hour before I failed that one. Then one year it was giving up Facebook. I think I was secretly satisfied to do that and finally achieved one for forty days! But since those trial years I've learned more for what it means for ME to give.

I think what God wants most of me is my time and for me to have peace. Like any parent of a child. He wants me to give up the strife I go through and settle in Him for a few minutes a day so that I can afford to give myself that peace that He promises me. He wants me to be still and know that He is God! That he is in control! That all I have to do is fear not!

Joel 2:12-13: “Yet even now,” declares the Lord, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning; and rend your hearts and not your garments.” Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love; and he relents over disaster.


It may seem like something I should do every day no matter if it is Lent or not, but I find it so challenging with all the "important stuff" going on in my life. I'm busy from sun-up to sun-down and constantly moving on to the next thing in my life once I've checked something off my to-do list. I hardly ever find peaceful moments on a consistent day-to-day basis. And Lent forces me to bring that exercise back into my life. Bring peace back into my life.

1 Peter 5:6 "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you,..."


Hopefully after the forty days is over it will have become a routine again. Something I long for daily. And if I can continue it--continue to take five minutes a day to be in relationship with God without asking Him for something--just being in His presence then life will be better. I'll be a better person. A better wife. A better mother. He will live with me and I'll have no choice but to be better.

Daniel 9:3 "Then I turned my face to the Lord God, seeking him by prayer and pleas for mercy with fasting and sackcloth and ashes."


So my challenge is that over the next forty days I am to take time to be with Him in peace. I pray Lord that you are there when I show up, but I already know you will be.

I wish you time and peace during this lent season as well.

Peace be with you...

With Love,
Reynie

No comments:

Post a Comment