Saturday, February 27, 2016

Chicken Research

I grew up with chickens and one really mean rooster by the name of "Big Red!" He was a fierce old fella. That's the "Red" below...



My grandmother had them around her farm and when I was a little older I remember us having them at an old yellow house we lived at in Moreland. We entered some chickens in the fair one year and I remember getting a blue ribbon. The ducks one ribbones, too.

They always seemed like the playmates for me and my siblings. They would roam around free range--or maybe they just got out of the pen--who knows, but nonetheless they were always our constant companions as children. I remember we had one of those classic blue plastic swimming pools in the summer and the ducks always got in with us to take a swim. I think once they snapped at my little brother, Carson and after that, we let them have their "adults only" swim.

Usually in summer I get lucky enough to obtain a few local chicken eggs which is always a treat to me! The color of the yolk and the fresh taste of a local, fresh chicken egg is like magic. The store bought eggs, even if free range organic, can't compare.

Last year we took on our first family pet, a tough-guy orange and white cat named Mittens. Little terrorist. We love him dearly and he is essential to keeping the mouse population under control at our little farm. I've been able to adjust to having another mouth to feed in addition to my four and six year old kids! I was worried that it might stress me out, but I've had no real stress problems... well, nothing that a nice glass of red wine at the end of the day can't fix. After I felt comfortable with our cat I started to feel more confident that I could add more pets to our palace. That's when the chicken craze started.

I knew spring would be coming and that would be the prime time to start my own flock. I've been researching and reading and chatting and day dreaming about all things chicken!

These are some of my favorite sites that I've found very helpful in my research:

Backyard Chickens
Fresh Eggs Daily
The Chicken Chick

Now, those are the "big timers" when it comes to chickens. There a ton of other bloggers out there that have info on chicken keeping. To track everyone, I started a Pinterest board on chickens. This allows me to keep up with my articles and what I should be reading on.

The best advice though is going to come from the other local farmers. My father-in-law has been a wealth of information for me. Although, he did try to convince me that I need thirty chickens! ha! Love the Big One!

After all the research and the investiagting and praying, I finally have settled on my own little flock that includes 12 chickens and 2 ducks!! Here's a snap shot with more to come!!



With love,

Reynie



No comments:

Post a Comment